Friday, March 26, 2010

From the Other Side of the Pond

So, regrettably, I am back in the States now. And so much has happened since I got back, I don't even know where to begin.

The rest of my time in London was lovely. I spend a long, long time in the Parthenon room, staring at the Elgin Marbles and just feeling so encompassed by time and space...it was beautiful. I also spent quite a bit of time in the rest of the British museum, mostly looking at the Greek, Roman, and Egyptian stuff. Fantastic. I also: toured the Tower of London (creepy and fascinating), briefly poked my head into the Tate Britain, had a fabulous and expensive afternoon tea (scones with clotted cream and jam = <3), perused antiques at Portobello Market, wandered the National Gallery and ate fantastic Chinese food with my host.

So, the morning of the day I was to fly to Rome, I decided to walk around Hyde Park a bit, since I figured I wouldn't have to head out to the airport till noon. (This reasoning hinging upon my taking the Tube to Victoria Station to get the train to Gatwick) I had a lovely walk; the weather was sunny and beautiful and the flowers and trees were just starting to bloom. I leisurely made my way back to the apartment around 11:30, had a quick lunch, and was out the door at noon. Exactly as planned. Except the Tube between High Street Kensington and Victoria was closed. Which meant that I had to take a bus. Which took forever. Which meant that I didn't get to Victoria until 1:00pm, and then to Gatwick until 1:30, then to the proper terminal until 1:45. For a 2:05 flight. I ran to the ticket counter, desperate, throwing my passport down gasping, "Please tell me I can still get on this flight!!" The attendent took my passport, clicked away on the computer, then looked up at my sadly. "I'm sorry miss, but this flight has just been closed." At which point I burst into tears.

Fast forward a few hours and many tears to my on a bus to Heathrow. Basically, the next flight to Rome wasn't until the next morning at 7:30 and was out of Heathrow, and since I would have to get there so early, I decided it would make the most sense for me to just stay at a hotel near Heathrow. Unfortunately, this ended up costing me close to $500. Live and learn, eh? So, after a fairly depressing night alone in the Holiday Inn, I successfully boarded the flight heading to Rome.

But the fun doesn't stop there, folks! In fact, it only gets more exciting. As I was flying over the Continent, Jamie was taking the kids through the Vatican Museums. And, after lunch, she had somehow managed to book a super exclusive tour of the ancient catacombs under St. Peter's Basilica. And when I spoke to her on the phone from my hotel room the previous night, she said, "We'll be in the Square until 1:30. We have to meet the tour guide at 1:35, but we can wait for you until 1:30." So, that meant that I had to somehow get myself from the airport, through customs, to the hotel, drop off my bag and to St. Peter's Square, before 1:30. My flight, of course, was late taking off, and we landed in Rome at 11. Ok, two hours, I can make it. Getting through customs was a breeze, 11:15, ok, I can make it. Baggage claim, forever! 11:45, shit, I don't know if I can make it! Leonardo Express, 30 minute train to the central train station, leaving at 12:05, crap, there's no way I can make it now... Taxi to hotel, check in at 1:00, St. Peter's is only a half hour walk? OK, I can do it, I can't make it...speed walking to St. Peter's, chanting, I can do it, I can do it...At 1:20, I burst into the Square and look wildly around for Jamie and the kids. I don't see her, but I continue to circle just in case, but after a few minutes, it's obvious they aren't there. Oh God, you didn't get me here on time just to have me miss them, did you?! I made my way slowly towards the Basilica, on the side where the restrooms are, thinking my efforts futile. And then, like a ray of sunshine, I saw David, the other chaperon, and, I kid you not, I jumped into his arms. I made it!

So, I met up with the group in time for the tour, a little sweaty and out of breath, but there. And boy, was it worth it. The ancient necropolis was probably one of the coolest things I have ever seen in Rome. Totally awesome and indicative of the melding of time and religions and people. It was so amazing, so stand there in front of what they think are St. Peter's bones. So yeah, it was worth the run. :)

More about the rest of the trip soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment