Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Celebrating Martin Luther King, Jr...Sorta

So, at my school, we have this amazing tradition for the way in which we celebrate MLK Day. Most of the country gets Monday off, then goes back to their regularly scheduled week on Tuesday. Not so for us. We have regular classes on Monday, due to the number of Mondays that get hit by other holidays, then on Tuesday, we have a day long celebration that includes a keynote speaker, workshops centered around diversity and social justice, and a community wide activity. All this is followed by a student art show, showcasing all the work of the students from the first semester. Now, I know that most people would grumble about not getting that Monday off, but there is much to be said for our day of celebration. How many of you actually thought about Martin Luther King yesterday, his work, what he stands for? During the workshops, the kids are actively thinking about, and working towards, all aspects of social justice. They are leading discussions and showing clips and preparing food to donate. The keynote inspires and challenges them to keep Dr. King's dream alive. The school wide activity shows them the diversity and the similarities within our own school.

It really is a great day, and I remember being so impressed and awed last year by everyone's enthusiasm. I even decided to run my own workshop this year about being multi-cultural, and what that means to us as individuals and to society as a whole. Unfortunately for us, however, the weather decided to conspire against us, and, after the first workshop and the keynote speech, school was let out for the day. It is snowing really heavily right now, and the roads probably will not be very safe later on, so it was a good decision, but I was really excited about my workshop. At least we got to hear the keynote speaker, Dr Gloria White Hammond, who was simply extraordinary. I just hope for myself that, in years to come, I can remember the experience I had here and remember that MLK Day is not just about getting the day off from work.

ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment